Tuesday 27 December 2011

The day after the day after the special day

Now that it is the day after, the day after Christmas I was asking myself what my favourite part of the day is.  Once you have grown up and have a family of your own I think Christmas changes so much and in many ways is just a whole lot better.  In my mind the children's enjoyment is what makes the day, and the younger they are and the more they believe, the better it is.
I always have a mental check list of jobs to do just before the big day.  Most important is to remember where I have hidden the presents I started buying in September, and once this is done they must be wrapped with no little eyes near to see me.  This gets harder as bed time gets later but being very organised (for once) they were ready a week in advance, and then on Christmas Eve hidden downstairs in every nook and cranny for the children to find on Christmas Day morning.  This is definitely the best part of Christmas.  Even my older children who are too cool to do most things, love hunting for their gifts and it has become a bit of a family tradition.  The value of the items is not important.  There were little bath bombs that only cost a couple of pounds but if one child has one then the others all have something similar be it books, DVDs or toiletries.
It is the sort of thing I hope my boys will remember when they have children of their own and possibly carry on doing for them.
I love the turkey, the mince pies, mulled wine, watching too much TV and general lazing around, but presents in the morning when the boys are running in and out of rooms with excited faces has to be my favourite time, and long may it continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment