Tuesday 7 February 2012

Obsessive Weather Disorder

Today my life went back to normal after a few days of hype, a bit of panic and a general sense of "Why do we always get it so wrong?"  I am sure that you will have guessed that I am talking about the recent snowfall.  I can only go by my own experiences and as a softie Southerner I know these are nothing compared to those living further North, however this feels like the perfect opportunity to talk about the British weather, and specifically the snow.

People have very different views about it.  Children of any age seem to love it with the beautiful, crisp, white, clean blanket they can attack with snowball fights, or use to build snowmen or sled on, but we adults have more of a love/hate relationship.

Whilst it looks very pretty, however much notice is given the country NEVER seems prepared.  Gritters were out at midnight on Saturday night but the snow began falling at 6pm, and with the weather forecasters talking about it for at least a week before why didn't they get their act together sooner?

 Facebook was inundated with pictures of snowy gardens, which were pretty but why are they more special than a beautiful summer's day?  No-one ever puts up a picture to show the trees have blossom on them as spring begins, so why do we need to look at the snow when it makes every garden look the same?

As it got to the end of Sunday there was much excitement in my house as discussions began on whether there would be school the following day.  Needless to say my thoughts were not the same as those of my boys!  As it becomes colder at night any snow on the ground will not melt so I would think it sensible for schools to make a decision the evening before, but maybe they are waiting for something that parents do not know about?  The result is that the phone rang on Monday morning just after I had woken the boys up and got up myself.  Don't they understand that either parents need to ensure children are old enough or have provision to be looked after if they are working, or perhaps they are just lazy and would have enjoyed a Monday morning with a lie in?  You will be pleased to know my eldest (Duvet Boy) was able to go back to bed and sleep until midday.

This morning there was only some slush left, and this had disappeared by the afternoon which means the wellies have now gone away, but I still don't understand our obsession with the snow and all things meteorlogical.  For days everyone talked about the impending snow, when it would arrive, how long it would last, how deep it would be, how much disruption it would cause, etc, etc.  This had followed on from how mild it had been and how early the daffodils have come out, and I guarantee that within a few weeks you will read or see that this summer we will have a heatwave and we will soon be obsessing about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment