Friday 27 April 2012

My Special Relationship

How many times on the news have we heard a political analyst talking about 'the special relationship' between the UK and America?  Is it still there? Is is still as strong as we have a different Prime Minister or President?  Does it even exist?

Some of those questions will perhaps never be answered but I do know that in my life I am very blessed.  I have my own special relationship.  It is not with my other half (thought I love him lots), with my children or with my amazing friends but with a lady who although she is more than double my age still astounds me.  This lady is small in stature but big in heart, she has an opinion on everything but will still listen, and her family comes before everything.  This lady is my Grandmother.

Born in Hungary she has stories to tell of her life that would not be believed if they were made into a film.  She has lived through so much, but she is a survivor and when she talks it means more than any history books.  Her voice is instantly recognisable as she has never completely lost her accent, but this makes her stand out.  In Hungarian the word for grandmother is 'Omi' and not only do I call her that, but when I was growing up all my friends did as well.  Those childhood friends still call her Omi today because she has a special place in their hearts.

So much has changed in her lifetime and some things have been easier to adapt to than others. A mobile phone that is never switched on slightly defeats the purpose of having one, but the recent acquisition of an iPad was far more successful. 

We have differing views in so many areas, but however much we 'discuss' things very loudly on the phone, at the end of the conversation no one is offended and we both know we can say whatever we want to each other.

My grandmother is a true force of nature.  She is independent and feisty, she will not take any nonsense from anyone, and if she is not happy about something she is not afraid to say so.  She is also tactile,  warm and  caring, and her love for her family is immeasurable. I feel so lucky to have her in my life and this is my way of saying thank you for everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment