Tuesday 24 July 2012

BarMitzvah Diary - Part 2

Today it is exactly 4 months until the Bar Mitzvah Party and it is weird to be working on an autumnal event even though summer seems to have only just appeared!

Last week we went to the party venue for a food tasting of the menu we have chosen.  We were given the whole meal and even tried the wine.  Sitting in the hotel restaurant it felt like an episode of Master Chef except that my other half has more hair than Greg and I don't have John's accent.  All the food was beautifully presented until we hacked into it and it felt a bit weird asking a professional chef for a few amendments if things weren't quite as we liked.  The people at the hotel were really helpful and we left feeling very full, unusually important and as chief wine taster I felt incredibly chilled.

A couple of days later the lady doing the invitations asked if I had completed my guest list.  As we had agreed that this information wasn't needed until the end of August I had of course done nothing.  I find doing this job the most difficult.  There are always people who you want to invite but you don't have the numbers, then there are those who you would rather leave out but you are obligated to invite, and do you invite the children or just the parents?  All the time you are having these dilemmas you know in the back of your mind that whatever you do someone will be offended or have a comment to make.  I have just about finished now, and am waiting on a couple of post codes before I pass the names over and can cross this job off my list.

Visiting the venue and arranging the invitations inspired me into action with other smaller things. I thought it would be nice to have confetti on the tables which matches the theme.  Getting slightly OCD I was trawling through listings on Google until I came across a company in America who had exactly what I wanted.  Checking with them they said they would post to the UK which was great. I went and ordered 7 bags of confetti with each weighing maybe 10g, and expected postage to be more than the standard £2.95 but wasn't expecting $84!  An email to query this price was met with stony silence and so my search continues....

With the sun shining and the boys off school I think the next few weeks will be quiet on the Bar Mitzvah front.  The lessons will continue throughout the summer but otherwise it will quiet until September when the invitations go out and everything needs to be finalised, so for now I will enjoy the calm and not worry too much that I haven't even started looking for my all important dress.




1 comment:

  1. The biggest single flaw in your party planning is you being the chief wine taster. Will you add BYOB on to the invitations for the party guests? It seems the polite thing to do...

    ReplyDelete