Thursday 7 June 2012

The Last Minute

It is a regular comment to be heard in our house "Why didn't you get all books/find your school shoes/print off your homework last night?"  There is always one child who suddenly remembers that he hasn't done or got something he needs literally as we are meant to walk out of the front door, and I always berate said child on their lack of organisation.  However it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps as I am actually no better than them.

A couple of days ago my youngest had a party to go to.  I had bought the present last week but for some reason had not wrapped it up when I got home.  It sat there until just before we were meant to leave when I suddenly had a panic and thought I didn't have enough wrapping paper.  When I found the paper I couldn't get the price stickers off the boxes as they had been super glued on and then the Sellotape had vanished.  I could feel the stress levels rising but it was all my own fault for waiting until the last minute.

I am always the same when it comes to going out.  I know how long I need to get somewhere and have it in my head and then usually I think that as I have another five minutes before I go I can sort out the washing or finish tidying something.  The problem with this theory is that the job invariably takes longer than anticipated so I am pressured before I start, but do I learn?  Of course not.

I don't think any of us intentionally put pressure on ourselves but perhaps knowing you have time for something makes you relax as you know you can put off doing the work.  I have managed to do this as well!  My eldest was on an exchange last October and I have known for the last six months that the student would be coming to stay with us this June.  We also knew that we needed to sort out the room he would be staying in or he would have nowhere to sleep!  However in October with birthdays, Christmas and the New Year in front of you, the summer seems a very long way away and nothing was done.  The said child is now arriving in ten days.  You will be pleased to know the room is painted and we have a sofa bed.  The furniture is arriving the day before the student so the man delivering can't be ill or have his van break down, and the blinds will hopefully be here next week but need my other half to fit them.  This is an altogether different stress as this is the first time we have ordered made to measure from a shop and I hope they fit.  If not, we will be putting dark material at the window while we argue over who got the measurements wrong!  

Trying to think why everything is so last minute I only need to look at my youngest.  Why does he always need the toilet when I ask him to put his coat on?  He will have gone already but there is a sudden need to go again and this is usually a longer stint in the little boys room.  I am just thankful his school is very close!  As they get older there is the homework finished at midnight or students who have a term to complete an assignment but wait until the week before it is due in to start it.  They then wonder why there are no relevant books left in the library.  When we go to work we always leave the jobs we dislike until the end but that usually means it is right before a deadline.  Knowing we have to do it anyway why not just get it out of the way?  Now there is an annoying job and a pressure to complete it on time.

I know I am not unique in leaving things to the last minute and at least now I hope I may be a little more understanding of my boys when they do the same, although there is the old adage 'Do as I say and not as I do!'


No comments:

Post a Comment