Thursday 8 March 2012

Appreciate What you Have

Like most people I spend a lot of time running around.  This has probably been compounded recently with the Jury Service and the fact my other half has been away.  Rushing in the morning so I am not late, rushing in the evening to get back, make supper and do a few basic chores, and then trying to fit in whatever needs to be done at the weekend before collapsing into bed every night exhausted.

This is nothing unusual as parents who juggle children and work, mothers who have to do a school run and nursery run with no time in between, and those looking after their families all do the same.  What is sad though is that in the midst of all of this there is no appreciation of what we have.

This week out of the blue somebody I know passed away.  A similar age to me he had not been ill and it was completely unexpected.  He had a loving marriage and children and there has been deep shock at what has happened.  Friends and people I have spoken to have all been upset at the news.  This is not meant to happen to a person of this age.  His children are too young to be without their father and his wife too young to be a widow.  Unlike watching terrible things on the news where there is always a distance between what I am seeing and my life,  this week is far closer to home and it is scary.

It feels so wrong but the sadness this week has made me look at my life.  How often do any of us take a step back and actually do this?  We are so busy stressing, running, worrying and doing that we never appreciate what we have.  I know I am blessed to have my boys and a good marriage.  My other half is working and I have a great family and some amazing friends.  I am fortunate to have my life and it should be appreciated.  None of us know what is round the corner and it may be corny to say it but the present is a gift for now and we should all grab it with both hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment