Monday 12 March 2012

Jury Service Continued

Now a 'second weeker' I was allowed to return at 10am on Monday morning, a whole hour later than last week.  As I was no longer a newbie I went into the restaurant whilst all those on their first week watched a DVD explaining what was required of them.  When I saw this I remember thinking how much noise there was coming from the restaurant but now I understood why.  Starting a new week there was a lot of catching up to do.  Within a few days it is amazing how much you get to know about your fellow jurors so people were busy chatting and mulling over how good/bad their weekend had been.  The previous week I had seen groups sitting together and laughing and joking whilst I sat like 'Billy No Mates' on the sofas but I had now progressed up the social pecking order as I began week two.  

When my name was called at 11am for a trial I was very pleased.  The previous week I had sat around until 3pm doing nothing so this was a major improvement.  Unfortunately though there was a problem and we had to wait until 4pm before we actually went into court to be sworn in, so five hours later I was picked ready to start the case the following day.

By this stage I had already been involved with a couple of trials and knowing how everything runs made it feel less intimidating.  What I found the most interesting was how twelve people can view the same evidence but have such differing opinions.  This is obviously why there are twelve people, but it is fascinating how one person can be so sure one way and someone else adamant in their thoughts whilst having a completely opposite view.

Finishing a case on Wednesday we were not sure if would be needed for any other trials, so just left at the end of the day.  It transpired that this was the end of my jury tenure but as it had been such a vague ending there had been no opportunity to say goodbye to my jury compatriots.  They have all gone back to their jobs, children and lives as I have returned to mine.  I have left my Jury Bubble and returned to the real world, but it was definitely more fun than I had anticipated, and a lot more interesting.  So, if you receive a letter in the post requesting you to attend jury service, then embrace it.  You might find it more rewarding than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment