Thursday 12 January 2012

Great Expectations

For many of us this is the first full week where our children are back at school.  Apart from a few hiccups (one friend has already had her sons off sick and another spent yesterday afternoon in casualty when her son broke his arm), we can try to get some sort of routine and normality back into our lives.  After everything that Christmas involves we see the New Year and new term as this amazing opportunity to get a million different jobs done.
I agree that it is important to try and get on top of the basics (which I find almost impossible during the holidays), but I do wonder if I set my expectations of what can be accomplished too high.  Today I did two school runs, two loads of washing, stripped my son's bed, went to get a couple of bits from the supermarket, popped into a friend, did some cleaning at home and am now talking to you.  It is 1.45pm and I need to make sure I eat lunch, start preparing some vegetables for supper, re-make my son's bed, make a couple of calls I should have done on Monday(!), and sort myself out for book club at my house tonight in the time that is left!  I am already sure something will be missed, but in my six hours am I unrealistic in what I expect?  If I was in an office and did not finish everything would I be so bothered about it?
I am sure that the perception of many is that stay at home parents have loads of time and do very little, so therefore what needs to be done should be easily accomplished in the time they have.  Perhaps these people are right, although I personally don't agree with that view.
When my youngest started primary school I had these dreams of clearing my garden and growing vegetables, sorting out all the photos from the last ten years that are still in the cupboard and putting them into albums, maybe even a bit of decorating.  Surprise, surprise the vegetables are still being bought, the photo albums have not been opened and I have not even chosen the colour of paint that I want.
I'm not sure what the answer is, or even if there is one, but I have decided not to beat myself up over it and to be pleased with what I have achieved. I will also ensure I make those calls first thing tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I would suggest that if you worked in an office you would be bothered about not finishing everything because you have a work ethic and conscience. Maybe the statement in itself is a poor indictment of the workplace today?

    Also have you ever considered that however busy you seem to get, if you make / schedule the time in to do something you'll seem to get it done but if you wait until an opportunity arises you never will get round to it? How does that work??

    LilBro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LilBro
    Thanks for your comments. It's great to have feedback especially when it makes you think and it's good to hear the other side. Your view is very true and I would like to think the majority of people do have a strong work ethic
    I also agree about the scheduling. If there is a job and it is allocated a certain amount of time to be completed and meant to be done at a specific time, it must give it more focus. It can't just be pushed to the bottom of a list. This has to be good, especially if it is something you don't really want to do. Perhaps that is where I am going wrong!

    ReplyDelete