Wednesday 18 January 2012

Whatever Happened To My Mornings?

Today I had a flashback to a time that I didn't appreciate.  After the alarm went off  I was waking up slowly in peace and quiet and thinking about my day ahead.  After a few minutes I got up at my own pace and went to sort myself out.  All the time there was the same calmness around me helping me to face the day and once dressed I went downstairs to focus on my own breakfast and to choose whether or not I wanted the radio on.

Fast forward more years than I would probably care to admit and if I am lucky I sleep until the alarm goes off, and if not at 6am my youngest comes to tell me that he needs the toilet, has had a bad dream, has a temperature and can't go to school or anything that will ensure I am awake without long enough to be able to roll over and go back to sleep.  At 6.30 the alarm will still go off (just in case) and then the rest of my children need be woken.  Two are very good, but one of my twins needs at least three checks in his room to ensure he has risen from the depths of his duvet.  Meanwhile I grab some clothes and quickly sort myself out whilst someone tells me they have no school socks in their room.

Once they are all downstairs in the kitchen I find out what sort of mood they are in.  If I am lucky duvet twin will talk without biting my head off. He is definitely not a morning person. Today he was ok but the other twin wasn't talking to me because he can't go to a sleepover party that clashes with something else.  The youngest was also not happy as he had tummy ache, said school was boring and needed to be at home, but my middle one was actually quite cheerful.

Having juggled this minefield there is the hope that everyone will find something to eat for breakfast that they want, and whilst they slowly munch through their food I am busy with my daily early morning chores; sandwiches, washing, tidying, ensuring right items go with right child to school. Today it was socks for finger puppets and old shoes, and all the while I am obsessed with the time,  what time they get up, what time they get down to breakfast, the time they finish breakfast and the most stressful time, when we have to leave the house.  I have a sense of urgency about this which is totally lost on my boys.  There is a train to be caught and it won't wait because a tie or rugby top can't be found.  Of course we all get out eventually and get to the station on time, but still I can't relax as my middle one says "Mum, I forgot my oyster card."  Is it wrong to be letting out a banshee style howl at 7.45 in the morning?

With everyone at school, (the little ones tummy ache disappeared after a breakfast) I have the chance to relax and as I walk back into my home it is lovely to have peace for a few hours.  The hustle and bustle will come back later but for the moment it is quiet and now I make sure I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment